Orthopedic surgeons are doctors who focus entirely on the musculoskeletal system. They are specially trained to diagnose and treat injuries and conditions that affect the bones and joints, as well as the ligaments and tendons. While some orthopedic surgeons are generalists, others go on to receive additional training and specialization in a particular area of the body. Our team of orthopedic surgeons at Optim Health System treat both adults and children and is comprised of specialists in:
- Orthopedic Trauma – all orthopedic surgeons are trained in treating orthopedic trauma which is the result of an accident or injury. They treat simple and complex fractures of the bones and wounds and injuries commonly caused by car accidents, sports injuries and any other traumatic event.
- Foot & Ankle – Orthopedic foot and ankle specialists are first trained as orthopedic surgeons and then undergo additional training, specifically to address injuries and conditions that affect the foot and ankle. They are experts in understanding the mechanics of the body and how compensatory patterns or injuries in other parts of the body may affect the foot or ankle. They commonly treat, ankle sprains, fractures, plantar fasciitis, bunions, Achilles tendon injuries and arthritis in the foot and ankle.
- Hand & Wrist – Hand and wrist specialists are orthopedic surgeons who have completed specialized training to care for the 27 small bones and joints that make up the hand and wrist. There are over 100 ligaments and tendons in the hand and wrist alone, along with many nerves. Many hand and wrist surgeons also treat injuries of the elbow and forearm. Others have specialized training in the nerves and blood vessels that are located in the hand and wrist area. They commonly treat, hand and wrist fractures, numbness and tingling in the hands caused by ulnar nerve entrapment and carpal tunnel, ligament and tendon injuries and arthritis in the hands and wrist.
- Orthopedic Spine – An orthopedic spine surgeon has completed their orthopedic training and then subspecialized specifically in evaluating and treating the bones of the spine from the neck to the lower back. They see people with back or neck pain and treat conditions that are related to the bones in the spine such as scoliosis and degenerative spinal disorders that are caused by aging or injury. Herniated discs, arthritic changes in the spine, spinal stenosis, fractured vertebrae, spinal deformity, and congenital abnormalities are all best treated by an orthopedic spine surgeon.
- Orthopedic Sports Medicine – Orthopedic surgeons who are trained to diagnose and care for injuries that commonly affect people who are active and athletic are called orthopedic sports medicine doctors. They are specialists in both non-surgical and surgical treatment of individuals who have injures of the shoulder, knee or hip. They are also specialized in minimally invasive arthroscopic surgical techniques. While they specialize in orthopedic sports medicine, they see patients of all ages who have injuries to the ligaments, tendons and bones. Common injuries they may treat include, torn ligaments and tendons in the knee, hip and shoulder, cartilage injuries, rotator cuff tears and shoulder arthritis that may lead to a shoulder replacement.
- Joint Replacement – Orthopedic surgeons who are specialists in treating arthritis in the hip and knee are joint replacement specialists. They are specially trained in the newest and most innovative techniques to relieve the pain of arthritis by replacing the joint. They are skilled in total knee and hip replacements and partial knee replacements utilizing the latest techniques and technologies. They offer minimally invasive approaches and robotic-assisted replacements to relieve patients who struggle with the pain of arthritis and return them to an active and fulfilling life.
At Optim Health System, we know that repetition breeds excellence. When you are treated by an orthopedic surgeon who is specialized, they have extensive experience treating specific injuries and conditions – making them experts and giving you the opportunity for the best outcomes with a quicker recovery and less pain. The Orthopedic Centers of Excellence at Optim has experts in all types of orthopedic surgery waiting to help you get back to all the activities you love.